This recipe takes the beloved buffalo chicken dip, and makes it healthy enough to enjoy on a weekly basis. Crisp and crunchy lettuce wraps make the ideal foundation for the spicy and flavorful buffalo chicken, and the fresh shredded slaw pulls everything together perfectly. Make up a big batch of this for a party, and let everyone customize their own plate. Or make a batch for yourself to enjoy healthy leftovers all week long.
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Serves 3-4 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ cups shredded cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup low-fat mayo or Vegenaise
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼- ½ cup buffalo sauce (to taste)
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Butter lettuce and lime wedges, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss the chicken with the olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, spread in an even layer, and bake for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the slaw. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, mayo, lime juice, and cilantro, until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and more lime and/or mayo if needed to taste.
- When the chicken is cooked, shred it with two forks, or your fingers, and while it’s still warm, toss it with the butter and buffalo sauce. Add hot sauce to taste, if desired.
- Let everyone build their own wraps, layering the chicken with the slaw, with the lettuce wrap holding it all together. Enjoy!
Note: This shredded chicken keeps well in the fridge, and makes great leftovers for quesadillas, sandwiches, or wraps.