These adorable and delicious cheddar spinach cups will brighten up any brunch spread, and are perfect for your Mother’s Day celebrations. Layers of hash browns, garlicky spinach, and cheesy eggs make for the perfect brunch bite. If you have any leftovers, they make a great portable breakfast on the run.
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Makes 12 cups (Serves roughly 6)
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups frozen pre-shredded hash browns (available in most freezer sections- or make your own shredded potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for topping
- 8 eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a non-stick muffin pan, divide the shredded hash browns equally between all 12 cups, making a small well in the center of each one. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and bake for 20 minutes until cooked and slightly golden.
- While your hash browns cook, sauté your spinach. In a pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and spinach, and cook until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the hash brown layer is finished cooking, take the pan out of the oven, and divide the spinach evenly between all 12 cups. Sprinkle cheese over the spinach in each cup, then pour over the eggs, filling just below the brim.
- When the eggs are almost set, sprinkle a bit more cheese over each cup, and put back in the oven.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes total, until the eggs are puffed and golden brown on top (they will deflate immediately out of the oven).
- Serve hot, or at room temperature. Enjoy!