Cheesy, spicy, and all around satisfying- this sweet potato noodle bowl is so delicious you’ll swear it’s a decadent splurge. In reality, this vegetarian & gluten free recipe is packed with plant based protein and feel good veggies, and comes together quickly for an easy weeknight meal. Double the recipe for the perfect portable lunch to take to work.
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Serves 2 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ cup Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, de-seeded (or leave seeds in for more spice), minced
- 1 can cooked chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning mix
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, pitted, halved, and sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Using a spiralizer, cut your sweet potato into thin noodles. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper, and roast for 10-15 minutes until tender.
- While the potato cooks, make the lime crema. Whisk together the Greek yogurt or sour cream, and the lime juice, with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss ½ the crema with the shredded cabbage, and set the other ½ aside.
- In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil with the garlic, jalapeno, chickpeas, and taco seasoning. Cook over medium heat for 5-6 minutes until soft and warmed through.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, toss them with the shredded cheddar cheese, and let sit for a minute until melted.
- To serve, divide the cheddar sweet potatoes between two plates, and top with the slaw, chickpeas, and the avocado. Drizzle everything with the reserved lime crema, and serve with extra lime on the side. Enjoy!