Savory, protein packed, and full of spicy flavor, these chipotle chicken stuffed sweet potatoes offer a new and healthy twist on the traditional potato skins appetizer. These become their own self-contained meal, and surefire hit with everyone at your dinner table. Serve these with salsa, guacamole, and hot sauce for a taco-bar style setup. This recipe also freezes well, so make up a big batch, wrap them up and keep them handy for a delicious last minute meal when you need it.
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Total Time: 1 ½ hours
- 3 sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2-4 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, to taste
- Shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet, toss the cut sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake cut side down for 35-45 minutes, until tender.
- On another baking sheet, toss the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Roast in the oven above or below the sweet potatoes, for 30-40 minutes, until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes and chicken bake, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and onion, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until tender and slightly golden. Add the corn, chipotle peppers, and cilantro, and stir well to combine.
- Shred the chicken, and add it to the sauté pan with the other ingredients, stirring well to combine. Add the lime juice, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more chipotle peppers, or their adobo sauce, to taste if needed.
- When the sweet potatoes are done, scoop out most of the insides, leaving a ¼ inch edge to hold the shape.
- Fill each sweet potato with the shredded chicken mix, and top each one with a sprinkling of shredded cheese. Bake for 5 more minutes, to melt the cheese. Enjoy immediately!