Consider this tonic your new go-to cure-all tonic. Ginger calms your stomach, maple syrup gets your blood sugar back up, and turmeric reduces inflammation naturally and helps you get back on your A game after a night of overindulgence. This tonic is also great for boosting your immune system if you’re feeling under the weather, and perfect for doubling up your defense during cold and flu season. If you’re hosting a post-party brunch, consider making up a double batch. Your weary guests will thank you!
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated (or chopped)
- 2 limes
- 2 lemons
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 1 small pinch fennel seeds (optional)
- Fresh mint to serve (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add the cold water, ginger, and the juice from your lemons, limes, and orange. Bring up to a boil, then turn off the heat.
- Add the turmeric, pepper, maple syrup, and fennel of using, and stir. Allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into a jar and discard the solids. Chill before using, or sip it warm right away.
- Garnish with mint if desired.
Note: You can also top this up with sparkling water or gingerly for a fizzy twist.