This DIY fajita bar is perfect for easy entertaining. Just prepare the ingredients, and set them out for everyone to build their own meal just as they like it. Great for an easy and customizable weeknight meal, or for a weekend fiesta with margaritas- this one is sure to be a crowd pleaser!
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Serves 4 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 package chicken tenders (about 1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 ½ tablespoons taco seasoning
- 3 bell peppers (mixed colors), de-seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package tortillas
- Limes, to serve
- Possible Toppings: Greek yogurt or sour cream, shredded cabbage or lettuce, salsa, shredded cheese, corn, beans, guacamole, hot sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. In a bowl, toss together the chicken, 1 tablespoon olive oil, and taco seasonings and toss well to combine. Place the chicken strips on a baking sheet evenly spaced, and bake for 25-30 minutes, turning them over once halfway through.
- While the chicken cooks, toss the peppers and onions with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Spread in an even layer on a baking sheet, and cook in the oven with the chicken for 20 minutes, until tender and slightly browned in places.
- When ready to serve, arrange all your toppings in bowls, warm your tortillas, and slice the chicken tenders into strips. Allow everyone to make their own fajitas, and dig in!