This warm grain salad is perfect for any summer dinner. Healthy and vegan while still being hearty and satisfying, this dish will please meat-eaters and vegetarians alike. Of course, feel free to add butter and Parmesan if you want to go full force and you can serve cold at summer picnics!
By Elizabeth Palmer Starnes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 cups hulled faro
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mixed wild mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 3 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, plus more to serve
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the faro per package instructions. Once cooked, spread it in a thin even layer on a baking sheet to keep it from sticking and getting soggy.
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms, and let them brown in an even layer for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and scallions, and a pinch of salt, and toss everything and continue cooking until golden brown and tender, 3-4 minutes more. Add the lemon juice and pepper, and a bit of the fresh thyme leaves, and season to taste with more salt if needed.
- Remove 1/3 of the mushrooms to a bowl to reserve for topping. Toss the faro with the remaining mushrooms in the sauté pan, and add a bit more olive oil if needed. Plate the faro mushroom mix on a platter, and top with the reserved mushrooms and fresh thyme to garnish. Enjoy!
Note: This Salad is also delicious cold the next day!