With the Super Bowl this Sunday, you’re probably on the hunt for some delicious and decadent snacks to serve with the big game. This spicy bean dip comes together in just 15 minutes, and can even be made the day before for convenience. Serve it alongside some guacamole, queso, and salsa, and you’ll have a very happy crowd!
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- ½ jalapeno, deseeded if you want it less spicy, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 small can Hatch chilies (hot or mild variety)
- 1 can refried beans
- The juice and zest of 1-2 limes
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and chopped cilantro, to serve (optional)
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add the oil, jalapeno, garlic, and cumin, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened and slightly caramelized.
- Add the chilies, beans, lime juice and zest, and sour cream. Turn off the heat, and stir well to combine. Season to taste with salt and more lime if needed.
- To serve, pour the dip into a bowl, top with sour cream, chopped tomatoes, and chopped cilantro, if using, put out some chips, and dig in!