This quick and easy vegan bean dip will be your new entertaining go-to. Made with mostly pantry items, and ready in just 15 minutes, this punchy and flavorful recipe turns any gathering into a fiesta in a flash. If you want to kick it up a notch, sprinkle in some shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese during the last minute of cooking.
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Serves 2-4 (Easily doubled)
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- ½ red onion, peeled and diced
- 2-4 garlic cloves (to taste), chopped
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes (more or less to taste)
- 1 16 oz. can refried beans
- the zest and juice of 2 limes (more or less to taste)
- Tortilla chips, crackers, or cut up veggies, to serve
- In a small sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and add the onion and garlic. Sautee for 2-3 minutes, until slightly softened. Add the cumin and chili flakes, and stir to combine.
- Add the refried beans, the lime zest, and lime juice, and stir well to combine. Season to taste with more lime and chili flakes if needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, with tortilla chips or chopped vegetables to dip.
Note: this dip also makes a delicious filling for burritos or tacos, and an awesome addition to your seven layer dip.