This light and quick summer greens pesto pasta is the perfect weeknight meal to enjoy all summer long. Both dairy free and gluten free, this is one pasta dish that’ll leave you feeling light and bathing suit ready! Toss in some grilled chicken or shrimp to up the protein for a healthy and well-rounded meal everyone will love.
By Elizabeth Palmer Starnes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 8 oz. Brown rice quinoa fusilli pasta (1/2 the bag from Trader Joe’s)
- 2 cups arugula, plus ½ cup to serve
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 4 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons grated vegan parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- Micro greens, hemp hearts, and fresh basil, to serve (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot of salted water, cook your pasta per package instructions. While it’s cooking, make your pesto sauce.
- In a high-speed blender, add the arugula, spinach, basil, garlic, olive oil, walnuts, nutritional yeast, Parmesan, hemp hearts, and lemon juice. Blitz to combine, until smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pot. Off the heat, toss with the pesto sauce, cherry tomatoes, and the remaining ½ fresh arugula. To serve, divide the pasta among four bowls, and top with the micro greens, hemp hearts, and fresh basil. Enjoy!