Summer is almost here! Celebrate its arrival with this easy and super seasonal salad that’s the perfect accompaniment to all your favorite BBQ and grilling dishes. Hit up your local farmers market for the best ingredients and biggest flavor bang for your buck. Make a double (or even triple!) batch of this for a wow-worthy Memorial Day celebration.
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Serves 2 (easily doubled)
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 large zucchini, cut into very thin rounds (use a mandolin or a very sharp knife)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus more to serve
- 1 ripe heirloom tomato, stem removed, and cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1 medium size ball of mozzarella, torn into large pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes, to taste
- Fresh basil leaves, torn, to serve
- In a small bowl, toss together the sliced zucchini, lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Arrange the tomatoes and mozzarella on a plate, and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Pile the zucchini over the tomatoes, and drizzle the juices over the whole plate.
- Garnish with fresh basil, and enjoy!
Serving suggestion: This salad pairs perfectly with some grilled skirt steak, fresh summer corn, and crisp white wine.