This cozy white bean chicken chili is just the thing to warm you up on the chilly winter nights ahead. Packed with spicy jalapenos, zesty lime, and savory spices, this delicious soup adds a kick to any mealtime. Make up a double batch, it saves well and makes for amazing leftovers!
By Elizabeth Palmer Califano
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 – 2 jalapenos, minced and deseeded to your preference
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- big pinch dried oregano
- big pinch ground cumin
- 1lb chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2- 15oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1- 15oz can sweet corn, drained and rinsed
- 4oz can chopped green chilies
- juice of 3 limes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional Toppings: green Tabasco sauce, verde sauce, lime wedges, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the jalapenos, onion, garlic, oregano, and cumin, and sauté until golden, 4-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts, and cover with the chicken broth. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, cover with a lid, and allow to simmer for 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Add the can of chopped green chilies, the white beans, and the corn. Shred the chicken using your fingers or two forks, and add it back to the soup. Add the juice of your three limes, and more salt and pepper if needed. Stir in a small handful of chopped cilantro. Add desired garnishes and enjoy!